Saturday 1 May 2021

Do What Thou Lovest Shall Be The Law of The Whole

 

“I don't care about traditions. 

And I don't care about 

respectable’... Wait. 

 

You're a Doctor, right? 

 

That's Respectable — 

You could Marry Us.

 

Everyone is saying it's a New Future. 

We make Our Own Traditions now.”




The Doctor's Speech on Love | Demons of the Punjab | Doctor Who
 
 
Do What Thou Lovest 
Shall Be The Law of The Whole
 
The Law is Will --
Will under Loving
 
 
Take Your People and go.
 
CROOK :
You would've done The Same.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
We can already see I haven't.
Now get The Hell off My Ship.
 
[ALARM SOUNDING ]
 
COMPUTER VOICE: 
Life-support failure.
Check oxygen levels at once.
 
Life-support failure.
Check oxygen levels at once.
 
Life-support failure.
Check oxygen levels at once.
 
MAN: 
Real beauty.
 
KAYLEE: 
Serenity's not moving.
 
WASH: 
When your miracle gets here--
 
INARA: 
Come with us.
 
MALCOLM: 
Everybody dies alone.
 
WASH:
I'll run up and scrape off a piece.
 
ZOE: 
You'd do that for me?
 
WASH: 
I'd do anything for you.
 
[INDISTINCT CHATTERING ]
 
Zoe Washburn : 
I don't think it's something he should see  when he wakes up.
 
Welcome Back, sir.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
I go someplace?
 
 
Shepherd Book :
Verrrrrry nearly.
We thought we'd lost you.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
I've been right Here.
Wash, you okay?
 
 
Yeah, Mal, I'm fine.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
You got A Thing in your arm.
 
 
Yeah.
 
Dr. Simon Tam :
Try Not to Speak.
You're heavily medicated and you've lost a lot of blood.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
I thought I ordered you all off The Ship.
I call you back?
 
 
No, Mal, you didn't.
 
I take fuII responsibiIity, captain.
 
That decision saved your Iife.
 
Won't happen again, sir.
 
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
Good.
And thanks. I'm grateful.
 
It was my pIeasure, sir.
 
Hey, we'd have been back first. . .
. . .except there's something wrong with Inara's shuttIe.
 
She done something to it.
Smells funny.
 
 
I toId you, that's incense.
 
 
JAYNE:
So you say.
 
-Hey, captain.
-Hey.
 
You fixed The Ship.
Good work.
 
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
Thanks.
 
 
SIMON: AII right.
 
I have to insist, the captain
needs to rest.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
Yeah. I think the doc might not be wrong about that one.
Just gonna need a few. . . .
You all gonna be here when I wake up?
 
We'll be here.
 
Captain Malcolm Reynolds :
Good.
That's good.
 
MAN:
Yep. Real beauty, ain 't she?
 
Yes, sir, a right smart purchase,
this vesseI.
 
I'II teII you what, you buy this ship,
treat her proper. . .
 
. . .she'II be with you for the rest
of your Iife.
 
Son?
 
Hey, son?
 
You hear a word I've been saying?
 
 
 
 
[Barn]
 
(A flash of light outside, then the Doctor appears.)
 
YASMIN: 
Where've you been? 
You've been gone hours.
 
DOCTOR: 
The Thijarians, they told me everything. 
I know what happened. 
And I know what happens.
 
YASMIN: 
I want to know what happens.
 
DOCTOR: 
Prem dies today.
 
YASMIN: 
We can't let that happen.
 
DOCTOR: 
It has to. 
For Umbreen to become your nani, 
for you to exist, Prem has to die.
 
RYAN: 
You mean the Thijarians have come to kill Prem?
 
DOCTOR: 
That's not why they're here. 
 
They're not assassins. 
They honour those who die alone.
 
GRAHAM: 
Aliens with compassion.
 
YASMIN: 
Umbreen loses her husband on the day she marries. 
Of course she never wants to talk about it.
 
DOCTOR: 
I'm sorry, Yaz. 
We should leave.
 
YASMIN: 
No. I want to be sure she's safe, 
whatever happens. 
I want to look after my nani.
 
RYAN: 
I'm with Yaz.
 
GRAHAM: 
Yeah, me, too.
 
DOCTOR: 
We can't tell them what we know.
 
“My friends, I woke this morning to the sight of smoke over the hills. 
More villages burned, more homes ransacked. 
It seems these savage mobs cannot be satisfied.”
 
“I urge you to stay safe, and stay strong. 
Protect yourselves however you must.”
 
[Prem's house]
 
(Prem is wearing his Army uniform, complete with turban. 
The patterned piece with tassels would denote caste or brigade or regiment, I think. Graham places a garland around his neck.)
 
GRAHAM: 
Well, the flowers don't help much. 
You still look like a schoolboy on manoeuvres.
 
PREM: 
These are the best clothes I have.
 
GRAHAM: 
You look great.
 
RYAN: 
No Manish?
 
PREM: 
He was out early. 
He'll be here.
 
RYAN: 
Did you hear the noises in The Valley during The Night?
 
PREM: 
The violence is getting closer.
 
RYAN: 
Who's doing this stuff?
 
PREM: 
Ordinary people who've lived here all their lives, whipped into a frenzy to be part of a mob.
 
Nothing worse than when Normal People lose their minds. 
 
We've lived together for decades, Hindu, Muslim and Sikh, and now we're being told our differences are more important than what unites us. 
 
Like we learned nothing in The War. 
 
I don't know how we protect people, 
when hatred's coming from all sides.
 
GRAHAM: 
Well, all we can strive to be is 
Good Men. 
 
And you, Prem, 
are A Good Man.
 
(Graham hugs Prem.)
 
GRAHAM: 
I er, I... Come on. 
Marriage.
 
[Stream]
 
(By the border fence that Manish placed. Prem by the orange flag, Umbreen by the green.)
 
PREM: 
This is The Spot you choose?
 
UMBREEN: 
I'm going to be the first woman married in Pakistan.
 
PREM: 
Of course you are.
 
HASNA: 
Are you all right, sweetheart?
 
YASMIN: 
I always cry at weddings.
 
(The Doctor sonicks The Fence, and The Rope falls into Thw Water.)
 
DOCTOR: 
I know there aren't many certainties in any of our lives, 
but Umbreen, Prem, what I see you in you is the certainty you have in each other. 
 
Something I believe in My Faith. 
 
Love, in all its forms, 
is the most powerful weapon we have, 
because love is a form of Hope 
and, like Hope, 
Love Abides in the face of everything. 
 
You both found Love 
with each other. 
 
You believed in it, 
you fought for it, 
and you waited for it. 
 
And now, 
you're committing to it. 
 
Which makes you, right now, 
The Two Strongest People 
on This Planet. 
 
Maybe in This Universe
 
I’m not sure 
How We Formalise This.
 
UMBREEN: 
I am.
 
(She picks The Rope out of The Water.)
 
UMBREEN: 
(to Yasmin) 
Will you?
 
YASMIN: 
That's a Hindu thing, isn't it? 
Tying The Hands together.
 
UMBREEN: 
Now it can be our thing, 
if we want it to be.
 
(Yasmin finishes wrapping the rope around their joined hands. Manish watches from a distance.)
 
[Barn]
 
(Decorated with the garlands.)
 
UMBREEN: 
I'm not often lost for words 
but I never thought this day would come. 
It's been tough. 
People who I wish 
were here to celebrate...
 
HASNA: 
They are, bheti.
 
UMBREEN: 
The drought was nearly the end of us. 
But we get to have this day because of Manish. 
 
You were tireless. 
 
When there was hardly any food, 
you took none. 
 
When we doubted we'd make it through to summer, 
you kept on. 
 
Night and day, 
we worked those fields together. 
 
I'm proud to have been your neighbour 
but I'm even prouder now 
to call you my brother. 
 
You kept us fed, Manish. 
 
Will you let me feed you?
 
(She holds out a small cake to him.)
 
MANISH: 
I didn't work This Land for you, Umbreen. 
 
I worked it for My Brothers —
 
One who didn't come back, 
and the other I wish hadn't.
 
 
HASNA: 
Enough, Manish.
 
MANISH: 
No. Look at you all. 
 
Don't you understand what's coming? 
 
None of this will make a difference.
 
(Manish leaves.)
 
DOCTOR: 
I'll talk to him. 
Prem, your turn.
 
PREM: 
Okay. So...
 
UMBREEN: 
What are you doing?
 
(He takes off his wrist watch.)
 
 
PREM: 
You did a Hindu thing with The Rope. 
 
Only right I do 
a Muslim thing too. 
 
This is your mahr
Yours to keep forever.
 
(But it slips from their fingers and smashes on the hard floor.)
 
UMBREEN: 
Prem!
 
PREM: 
I'm sorry.
 
HASNA: 
Cursed.
 
(Umbreen picks it up again.)
 
UMBREEN
It's Fine
It's Perfect. 
 
This is us, forever. 
Our moment in time.
 
(They kiss.)

No comments:

Post a Comment