Wednesday, 30 September 2026

You were FAR from My FIRST Choice --






[T'Pol's quarters]

(T'Pol is sitting on the floor, 
meditating with candles.)

Autistic Queer Woman :
Come in.

Hetero Life-Partner :
You decide to tell me what Vanik said?

Autistic Queer Woman :
Please, sit down.

Hetero Life-Partner :
I've never seen your 
quarters before. Cozy.

(Tucker sits on floor.)

Hetero Life-Partner :
You know you're not supposed to 
have an open flame on the ship.

Autistic Queer Woman :
I was given permission 
from The Captain. 
They're for meditation.

Hetero Life-Partner :
So, what can I do for you?

Autistic Queer Woman :
Doctor Phlox believes that it might help if 
I was to discuss my problem with someone 
I felt comfortable confiding in.

Hetero Life-Partner :
You want to talk to me? Well, I'm not sure 
I'm going to be much help. I mean, 
I've only been in three relationships 
and they all went bust. 
Are you sure you wouldn't rather talk 
to Hoshi or Ensign Kimball? 
She's married.

Autistic Queer Woman :
You were far from my first choice, but 
speaking with someone else would mean 
more people knowing about my situation.

Hetero Life-Partner :
I'll do anything I can. 
What's your problem?

Autistic Queer Woman :
You read The Letter.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Yes.

Autistic Queer Woman :
Then you know that unless 
I leave Enterprise immediately, 
my wedding plans will be cancelled.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Have you talked to -- ?

Autistic Queer Woman :
-- Koss.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Have you talked to Koss about all this?

Autistic Queer Woman :
We haven't spoken in many years. 
Marriages on Vulcan are 
arranged during childhood. 
I've only met Koss four times.

Hetero Life-Partner :
How can you be in love with a guy 
you've only met four times?

Autistic Queer Woman :
It's assumed that we'd eventually 
develop an affection for one another.

Hetero Life-Partner :
So his parents send you an ultimatum? 
He doesn't have a say?

Autistic Queer Woman :
His parents planned the union. 
It's their decision.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Boy. Where I come from, 
arranged marriages 
went out with slavery.

Autistic Queer Woman :
Are you going to give me advice 
or criticise My People's tradition.

Hetero Life-Partner :
I'm still a little fuzzy 
on why they threatened to 
call it off in the first place.

Autistic Queer Woman :
The ceremony was supposed to take place next week. When I decided to remain on Enterprise I requested a postponement. Koss's parents were insulted that I would put off our plans to serve on a human vessel.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Well, Vanik can take you home. Why don't you go marry Koss, then come back?

Autistic Queer Woman :
It's customary for a husband and wife to reside together for at least one Vulcan year.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Maybe he can come to Enterprise.

Autistic Queer Woman :
He's an architect. It would be illogical for him to live aboard a starship.

Hetero Life-Partner :
This whole thing sounds illogical.

Autistic Queer Woman :
-- Your advice, Commander.

Hetero Life-Partner :
What do you want to do?

Autistic Queer Woman :
That is irrelevant.

Hetero Life-Partner :
No, it's not. It's very relevant. 
Do you want to go back and marry this guy, 
spend a year with him, ten years, 
a hundred years, or do you want 
to stay on Enterprise?

Autistic Queer Woman :
I have an obligation.

Hetero Life-Partner :
You've got an obligation to yourself. 
You've spent the last year around humans. 
If there's one thing you should have learned 
it's that we're free to make our own decisions. 
There's a lot to be said for personal choice.

Autistic Queer Woman :
If you'd spent the last year on Vulcan, you would have learned that our commitment to tradition outweighs personal choice.

Hetero Life-Partner :
I respect your customs, but this marriage was arranged when 
You were a kid. A lot's happened since then. People change.

Autistic Queer Woman :
Vulcan's don't.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Really.

Autistic Queer Woman :
My obligation is to my culture, my heritage. 
It has to take precedence.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Sounds to me like you already made 
up your mind. Why the hell 
did you ask me here?

Autistic Queer Woman :
It was a mistake. I apologise.

(T'Pol stands. Tucker goes to leave.)

Hetero Life-Partner :
Did it ever occur to you that you might have postponed the wedding because subconsciously you wanted to get out of it?

Autistic Queer Woman :
That would imply that my 
subconscious mind controls 
my decisions. It doesn't.

Hetero Life-Partner :
Well it happens to humans all the time. 
Maybe you're picking up some of our bad habits.

No comments:

Post a Comment