Saturday 25 November 2023

Mark Kermode reviews Napoleon

Mark Kermode reviews Napoleon - Kermode and Mayo's Take

okay so um Napoleon directed by Ridley
Scott from a script by David scarper the
tagline he came from nothing he
conquered everything you say that both
of those it's a great tagline complete
rubbish yeah I'm just total rubbish in
both section I'm just setting it up okay
so the film follows Napoleon's rise you
know through the the ranks of authority
to war from Warrior to Emperor from
Emperor to Exile from Victoria from you
know
Victorious uh leader to Vanquish anyway
huge battles vast Globe trotting
narrative you know we can't go into
winter it's Russia the horses won't make
it massively compressed historical
narrative and of course the Fab line
which you quoted in that interview you
think you're so great because you have
boats said to the British ambass which I
think should now be put on the you know
on on the British passports we think
we're so great because we have like he
wanted to say was I effing hate the
British I know I know however with all
that I have to say that for me the
central uh theme of this is the
relationship between Napoleon and
Josephine as you know Phoenix says it's
part historical drama part character
study there has been much praise for the
spectacular battles I should say the
spectacular battles are really Grim I
mean they first for a start they're
murky I mean they're shot kind of yeah
they're battles it's mud it's rain it's
violence it's you know people running at
each other with pointed implements and
horses getting hit by cannonballs and
you know blood it's like Saving Private
Ryan Napoleonic style I thought that the
battle scenes were horrific and I I
think they're meant to be and when you
you know people talk obviously about you
know the battle scenes huge and
spectacular they're they're Grim um it's
interesting to knowe incidentally that
that's a movie by you know Ridley Scott
who everybody used to accuse of being
all spectacle and no substance that I
think what this is the substance that's
more interesting than the spectacle so
Napoleon is not sympathetic I mean he
may be a brave Warrior on the
battlefield she calls him a brute but in
private he is a weasy little boy out
there in the world he leads armies into
death and destruction the death tolls
are astonishing and are much is made at
the end of just what the death tolls
were. 

When he's with Josephine, he is to
use a word that wackin Phoenix used in
that interview whiny bratty kind of like 
schoolboy she exerts her power over him —

in a
in a a particular scene in which she
says to him they're sitting opposite
each other and she's sitting on a chair
and she says to him if you look down you
will see a surprise and once you see it
you will always want it 

now it takes a
very fine actor to deliver that line and
get away with it luckily Vanessa Kirby
is a very fine actor and so the whole
she's a big fan of the podcast by the
way well good that's great and she
delivers that line as you know a a
threat a tease a come on a stale I mean
there's so much power in the way she
delivers that line 

Phoenix talked in
that interview about the Absurd humor of
their relationship and I think that
absurdity is Central — I mean in fact that
on one level the movie itself is
preposterous : Ridley Scott’s Napoleon
would cover you know and I'm,
What all of it?!”  — preposterous.

But actually that preposterousness is particularly
apposite considering the nature of their
relationship — people have talked about
the great love between 
Napoleon & Josephine;

The Love scenes are ludicrous
deliberately-so  : he makes this weird
sound when he wants to be with her 
just this kind of weird gesture you know 
I I want to be with my — and then the scenes 
of them together he's — they are they are 
played for ludicrousness —

They're not, you know, long 
languorous passionate scenes;
quite the opposite, they are 
perfunctory and canine in 
the way that they're Played-out —

the madness of him crawling
underneath the table and during that
scene about you know why aren't you
pregnant yet the other thing that I
think which hasn't quite been flagged
enough is this is a film that manages to
portray Josephine as a sexually
independent strong woman without ever
demonizing her for it she is who she is
you take it or leave it she asks him
straight off right at the beginning I
have a past is that going to be an issue
and he says no she takes lovers she she
says to him have you had lovers he says
oh oh yes yes you think no you haven't
no you haven't it's just what she does
she's completely charismatic she's also
three-dimensional I mean when she said
in that interview you know first that
she wants a kind of you know distance
avoidance thing with him but then later
on she thinks that she genuinely does
love him she's never portrayed as a
demonized force and this is very unusual
for mainstream C to do something that
and I think that's it's partly to do
with the filming but I think a lot of it
is to do with Vanessa Kirby coming in
and taking control of that role and
making it the kind of lightning rod at
the heart of the film as for Phoenix's
Napoleon I mean he's a narcissistic
lunatic he's kind of like a a calicular
figure actually weirdly enough in terms
of performance there are flashes in his
performance of Malcolm mcdow's cular
petulent whiny brtish also his previous
Emperor for Ridley Scott kodus
is exactly that kind of exactly and
those things they not you know you know
what a fantastic uh you know uh
admirable leader quite the opposite
whiny bratty and brave in as much as the
winter is coming we have to stop no
we're going to carry on oh look
everyone's freezing to death there are a
couple of other performances is worth
mentioning rer Everett is very very good
he is as Sensational as Wellington just
having a fantastic time it looks like
he's drunk an entire bottle of
bitterness and fantastic uh you know and
thank heavens for the for the support um
there was that weird thing when you
compared you said that you know people
have said that uh Tony Scott is like
Napoleon the weird thing when you said
that Ridley Scott is like Napoleon but
he's a benevolent dictator actually the
comparison is between uh uh Ridley Scott
and Stan kuri because of course Stanley
kubric tried for years to get a Napoleon
project together he you know he
researched it it was called the greatest
movie never made uh he just never got it
done abble G's version originally wanted
it to be six films you know even though
the the the the end result of that
Napoleon is considered to be one of the
greatest works of Cinema it wasn't the
full thing that he wanted to do Ridley
Scott just went I'm going to make
Napoleon oh there we are I've made
Napoleon apparently there is a
director's cut coming later on which is
4 hours that we'll come to
yeah coming to Apple TV but so you know
if you look in the history of Cinema you
know the fact that that Ry Scott just
went I'm going to do Napoleon there we
are I've done Napoleon I mean man he
shoots fast 62 days the whole film took
breathtaking breathtaking you know
kurick decades didn't happen abble G
huge amount of su and only did some of
what he wanted to do but I do think that
at the end of it the thing that makes
the film interesting is the portrait of
aoon as this whiny weasly bratty
narcissistic ciglar like figure and the
portrait of Josephine as a strong
independent um three-dimensional
character who absolutely has the measure
of him at the beginning of him and and I
think Vanessa Kirby is the key to it I
think those people who think that uh
Ridley Scott likes events not
explanation will find this as more more
proof of that I think the events are
better than the explanation in terms of
who Napoleon was and who he there is no
explanation as to why he is that guy
there is no explanation as to like for
example the incredible reforms that he
passed the man who reintroduced slavy
reintroduced slavy into the French
colonies where you know where is that
going there are other people like Andrew
Roberts historian who said he was the
Enlightenment on a horse that's how
where where is that where is that
Napoleon so I don't think so when and
when Ridley Scot that's a great phrase
when challenged by Dan snow and others
about the historical accuracy instead of
saying it's a film I've just done a
version he has this Preposterous line
where he says were you there no well
shut up then or stronger language that's
not how history worked absolutely that's
not how history worked so I do think
Ridley needs a little bit of firm media
yes but I want I want to be clear
firstly I'm reviewing the film not the
history exactly and secondly Ridley has
always been like that Ridley has always
been like that anyway it's it's
spectacular if you get a chance to see
it on a big screen do that before it's
on your laptop or your phone because but
the battle scenes are brutal they're not
lavish and G glorious they are but it's
like Gladiator you know it is it's
brutal stuff also when I said Commodus
Emperor Commodus it wasn't Mark Commodus
obviously it was Oh I thought he' played
me oh well he could do he could play me
wacking would be great he would I mean
you know he did Johnny Cash he could do
me thanks very much for watching this
video I hope you enjoyed watching it as
much as we enjoyed making it while
you're here check out all the videos cuz
they're cool too aren't they they are
and if you want to keep up to date with
everything kerm Mayo take then check out
our social channels I mean why wouldn't
you I mean I I would but I have done
excellent.

No comments:

Post a Comment