Thursday 2 November 2023

The Lord of the Dance

Rev. - The Lord of the Dance






Angel and Lorne are hitching a ride on the back 
of one of the pasty faced villager's donkey carts. 

They jump off as the cart passes in front 
of the dwelling of Lorne's Family. 

Lorne
Boy. I'd give my left horn 
to not have to do this.

We see a group of Lorne's relatives, apparently engaged 
in some kind of horse play, in front of their dwelling. 

Lorne
Hi-de-ho!

The big figure in the middle of the gathering 
turns around to look towards them. 
Unlike the other demons of Lorne's kind 
we've seen so far, this one sports 
a full beard in addition to the 
usual attributes of his race. 

Lorne
Guess who's back.

Bearded-Demon : 
Krevlorneswath

Can it be True
I've often prayed that 
I might look again 
upon your face.

Lorne: 
Well, you're in luck then.

The bearded demon spits 
in Lorne's face. 

Bearded-Demon
You have shamed Our Clan 
and betrayed your kind.

Lorne dabs at the spit with a handkerchief. 

Lorne
Thanks, Mom.

Angel's head snaps up 
and he mouths 'Mom?' 

Mom
Each morning before I feed I go out into the hills 
where the ground is thorny and parched
beat my breast and curse the loins that 
gave birth to such a cretinous boy-child!

Lorne (spreading his hands) : 
My Mother.

Mom : 
Your Father was right
We ate the wrong son.

Lorne
Well, enough of this sentimental reminiscing. 
Just a couple of quick questions, then I'll skeddadle. 
You remember back around five years ago 
when I first disappeared - Did you 
notice anything - odd?

Mom
We noticed feasting and celebrations
Your Brother Numfar Did the Dance of Joy 
for three moons --

Numfar! Do the 
Dance of Joy.

Numfar (who is, btw played by none other 
but Joss Whedon himself) starts some 
weird dance routine, which includes some kicks and hops 
as well as tapping himself repeatedly on the head. 



Lorne: 
Actually what I meant was more along the lines of 
a strange flashing, kind of a weird pulsating... 
(aside to Angel) You remember when I said 
We Didn't have Music in My World? 
Wish I could say the same 
about The Dancing. 
(Back to his mom) …lights. Really you couldn't 
have missed it. Big, bendy, swirly...

Mom
No longer Do the Dance 
of Joy, Numfar!

Lorne: "Nothing like that at all then." 

Mom: "Now take your cow and get off my lawn!" 

Landok: "That is no cow." 

Landok pushed Lorne rudely out of the way and claps Angel on the shoulder. 

Landok: "My friend! It is good to see you again. I would have perished in your strange world were it not for your bravery." 

Angel shifts on his feet and throws a look over at Lorne. 

Mom: "You know Krevlorneswath's cow?" 

Landok: "He's Angel! The brave and noble drokken k*ller." 

Angel: "Just Angel is really..." 

Landok: "He is as valiant and courageous a warrior as I have ever known." 

Mom: "Then he shall be welcome in our home and we shall will him. (Lorne's mouth drops open) Numfar! Do the dance of honor." 

Numfar launches into another series of leaps and gestures, including the bunny-hop. 

Lorne: "Landok, hi. Say, the drokken k*ller and I have a few itty-bitty portal queries and then we'll..." 

Two relatives come up and pull Angel's coat off. 

Landok: "We shall adorn my gallant friend in raiments befitting a warrior, that our neighbors may know of his valor." 

Angel watching them take his coat into the house: "Uh, guys - no wire hanger because that's leather!" 

Two other are dropping a necklace around his neck and drape an elaborate cape over his shoulders. 

Angel: "Oh. Guys, hey, - all this isn't really... (Another relative holds a mirror up in front of him) Nice! He-hey!" 

Looks over at Lorne while adjusting the cape. 

Landok: "Come! You will be our guest of honor at the village feast. There you will tell the tale of your bravery and courage against the vicious drokken." 

Landok leads a smiling Angel away. 

Angel: "Hey, now, about the hair - do you think that..." 

Lorne shakes his head and looks over at Numfar, still hopping around. 

Lorne: "Why, it's the homecoming I always dreamed of." 

Follows the others, leaving the dancing Numfar behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment