Sunday, 3 August 2025

The Significance of Laughter





STAR TREK Logical Thinking #80 - 

The Dunning-Kruger Effect (Cognitive Bias)


[Teacher's office]


BALLARD: 

She achieved a very high score on a test of academic achievement.


DATA: 

A perfect score?


BALLARD: 

Yes, which is why we started her out with the older children.

But Lal couldn't understand the nuances of how they related to each other.

DATA:

I see.

BALLARD:

We decided the best thing to do would be to put her with younger children.

DATA: 

— That would seem 

to be reasonable.

BALLARD:

It isn't working out that way.

(She shows him the classroom. Lal is standing by the wall while the children are around a table together)


BALLARD: 

The children were afraid of her.


[Turbolift]


LAL:

Father, what is the significance of laughter?

DATA: 

It is a human physiological response to humour.


LAL: 

Then judging from their laughter, the children at school found my remarks humorous. 


So without understanding humour —

….I have somehow 

Mastered it.


DATA: 

....Deck fifteen. 


Lal.


LAL: 

Yes, Father?


DATA: 

The children were not laughing with 

you, They were laughing at you.


LAL: 

Explain.


DATA: 

One is meant kindly, 

The Other is not.


LAL: 

Why would they 

wish to be unkind?


DATA: 

Because you are different. 

Differences sometimes 

scare people. 

I have learned that some of them 

use humour to hide their fear.


LAL: 

I do not want

to be different.

No comments:

Post a Comment