Saturday, 7 October 2023

I, Children of Tamar




RIKER: 
I would prefer to find a peaceful solution. 
If We could TALK Our Way out of 
this one, that much The Better. 


TROI: 
Unfortunately, it may not be that simple. 


RIKER: 
What did you find out? 


DATA: 
The Tamarian Ego-structure does not seem to allow
what We normally Think of as ‘SELF-Identity’. 

Their ability to abstract is highly unusual -- 
They seem to communicate 
through Narrative-Imagery 
by reference to The Individuals and Places 
which appear in their Mytho-Historical accounts. 


TROI: 
It's as if I were to say to you, 
“Juliet, on her balcony. 


CRUSHER: 
An Image of Romance. 


TROI: 
Exactly. 

Imagery is EVERYTHING to The Tamarians. 
It embodies Their emotional states, 
Their very THOUGHT Processes —
It's HOW They Communicate, and 
it's How They THINK. 



RIKER: 
If We know How They Think, shouldn't We 
be able to get something across to Them? 


DATA: 
No, sir. 

The situation is analogous to 
understanding the GRAMMAR 
of a language but none 
of the vocabulary. 


CRUSHER: 
If I didn't know WHO Juliet WAS 
or WHAT she was DOING on that balcony, 
The Image alone wouldn't have any Meaning. 


TROI: 
That's correct. For instance, 
We know that Darmok was A Great Hero, 
A Hunter, and that Tanagra 
was An Island, but that's it. 

Without the DETAILS, there's 
no Understanding. 


DATA: 
It is necessary for Us to 
LEARN The Narrative from 
which The Tamarians are 
drawing Their Imagery — 

Given our current relations, 
that does not appear likely. 



“By creating A Character in a piece of Fiction,
You can allow A Reader to leap over the 
Wall of Self  and to imagine himself 
being  not just somewhere else, 
but someone else …
because people, I think, are essentially 
lonely and alone and frightened 
of being alone”

— Foster.

No comments:

Post a Comment