Friday 10 March 2023

Worf







(As happy gamblers play below, Worf sits alone at a table and stares at nothing.

O'BRIEN
You look like you could 
use some company. 

WORF :
Chief, do you remember the time 
we rescued Captain Picard 
from The Borg? 

O'BRIEN
How could I forget? 
It was touch and go 
there for a while. 
There were a couple of moments when I thought we were all going to wind up 
being assimilated. 

WORF
I never doubted the outcome. 
We were like warriors 
from the ancient sagas — 
There was nothing 
we could not do. 

O'BRIEN
….except keep the holodecks working right.  (grins)

WORF: 
(It is not reciprocated) I have decided 
to resign from Starfleet. 
O'BRIEN: Resign? What are you talking about? 
WORF: 
I have made up my mind. 
It is for the best. 
O'BRIEN: 
Look, I know how much 
you miss the Enterprise, 
but I'm sure they'll be 
building a new one soon. 

WORF: 
It will not be the same. 
The Enterprise I knew is gone
Those were GOOD years
but now it is time for me to move on. 

O'BRIEN: 
And do what? 
WORF: 
I do not know
I thought I would be 
returning to Boreth, 
but now that is impossible. 
I have made an enemy of Gowron, 
and every other Klingon 
in the Empire. 
O'BRIEN: 
All the more reason 
to stay in Starfleet. 

WORF: This uniform will only serve to remind me of how I have disgraced myself in the eyes of my people. I suppose I could get a berth on a Nyberrite Alliance Cruiser. They are always eager to hire experienced officers. 
O'BRIEN: 
The Nyberrite Alliance
That's a long way.
 What about your son? 

WORF: 
Alexander is much happier 
living with his grandparents 
on Earth than he ever 
was staying with me. 
One thing is certain. 
The sooner I leave here, the better. 
My continued presence on Deep Space Nine would only be a liability to Captain Sisko in his dealings with the Klingons. 

QUARK: 
Do you hear that, Chief? 
Seventy two decibels. 
Music to my ears. 

O'BRIEN: 
I think I liked it better 
when it was quiet. 
QUARK: 
You want quiet, go to the Replimat. 
This is Quark's the way 
Quark's should be. 
The way it was meant to be. 
Am I glad we finally got rid 
of all those Klingons. 
Present company excepted, 
of course. 

(Worf leaves.) 

O'BRIEN: 
I got to hand it to you, Quark. 
You really know how to make 
your customers feel welcome. 

QUARK: 
What do I care? 
All he ever drinks 
is prune juice.

[Captain's office]

SISKO: 
I'm sorry, Mister Worf, but I can't 
accept your resignation at this time. 

WORF: 
I do not understand. 
What further use 
could I BE here? 

SISKO: 
I'm not •sure• yet. But as long 
as the fighting continues between 
the Klingons and the Cardassians, 
I need you here on the station. 

WORF: 
If you think that is wise. 

SISKO: 
I don't know if it's WISE or not — 
But I DO know that 
you're a good officer, 
and right now I need EVERY 
good officer I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment