Thursday 2 September 2021

Mister Justice



And then The Justice,
In fair round belly with good capon lined,
With eyes severe and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances;
And so he plays his part.












“I want you taking at bats off the 10th and 11 th pitcher by the end.
This is your basic breakdown
of the pitches, where you should be hitting them, why.

“So you want us to walk more?”

“Good question. YES.”


••••••••

Billy Bean :
“Mr. Justice.
Had a few thoughts.”

Mr. Justice :
“Yeah?”

“Yeah. 

Mr. Justice :
Gonna teach me some things?”

“Excuse me?”

Never seen a GM talk to players
like that.”

“You never seen a GM who was a player. 
We got a problem, David?

“No, it's okay. I know your routine.
It's patter. It's for effect.
But it's for them, all right?
That shit ain't for me.”

“Oh, you're special?”

“You're paying me 7 million bucks
a year, man, so, yeah...
...maybe I am, a little bit.”

“No, man, I ain't paying you 7.
Yankees are paying HALF your salary.
That's what the New York Yankees think of YOU —
They're paying you $3.5 million
to play against them.”

“Where you going with this, Billy?”

“David, you're 37.
How about you and I be HONEST about what each of us WANT out of this?

I wanna milk the last ounce of baseball you got IN you.

And you wanna 
Stay in The Show. 
Let's do that.


I'm not paying you for 
the player you used to be.

I'm paying you for 
the player you are right now.

You're smart.
You get what we're trying to do here.

Make an example 
for the younger guys

Be A Leader.
Can you DO that?



“….All right. I got you.”

“We're cool?”

“We're cool.”












No comments:

Post a Comment