Wednesday 1 September 2021

Clark Kent isn’t.





WORF
How is the investigation coming? 


EZRI
Slowly. 


WORF
If I can assist you in any way? 


EZRI
I appreciate it, but you can't, really. 
Nobody can. 

Actually, that's Not True
There is someone who could help, but I don't want to ask him.

WORF
Why? 


EZRI
It's complicated. 


WORF
Nevertheless, if he can help? 


EZRI
It wouldn't be pleasant. 


WORF
Perhaps not — but I am certain that you will do whatever is necessary to complete your task. 


EZRI
And how do you know that? 

WORF
You are Dax —
It is Your Way.

[Ezri's quarters]
(There's a bubbling cauldron of mud.) 


EZRI: 
I'nora, ja'kala vok 'za Ezri. 
Zhian'tara rek pora'al Zheem Dax tanas rhem Joran. 'za Ezri tanas rhem Joran. 

Come on, Joran. 
Don't make me beg

Joran tanas rhem. 
Vok Ezri, Joran tanas rhem. 


(Joran replaces her face in the mirror) 


JORAN: 
You won't regret this, Ezri. 

(Then he's not in the mirror.) 


JORAN: 
I promise. 
Joran, the forgotten host. 
The Outcast. 


EZRI: 
The murderer. 


JORAN: 
I'm sure you never thought that little character trait would prove useful. 
EZRI: It seems so strange separating you from the others, seeing you standing there. 
JORAN: But I'm not really standing here, am I? It's all in your mind. At least now I know you're listening me. I've been ignored for far too long. Curzon and Jadzia didn't quite know what to do with me. 
EZRI: They buried your memories as deep within them as possible. 
JORAN: That was a mistake. I have so much to offer. 
EZRI: We'll see about that. Now, let's get to work. We have a killer to catch. 
JORAN: Where should we begin? 
EZRI: I want to know how he thinks. 
JORAN: Then we'll start with his choice of weapons. 
EZRI: We already know how he modified the TR one one six. 
JORAN: But you haven't held it in your hands, have you? You haven't looked through its tracking display, picked a target, felt the power as you lock its sensors on your unsuspecting prey. If you want to catch a killer, Ezri, you have to learn to think like one.
[Science lab]
(Ezri opens the rifle's container.) 
JORAN: Handsome weapon. 
EZRI: If you say so. 
JORAN: Even you have to admire the aesthetic qualities inherent in its design. It conveys a sense of danger, of power. Just looking from the trigger to the muzzle conjures up images of death. Take it down. 
(Ezri lays it on the table.) 
JORAN: I meant hold it in your hands. 
EZRI: Why? 
JORAN: Because I want you to feel what the killer felt. This isn't going to work if you fight me. 
EZRI: I'm holding the gun. 
JORAN: Stop placating me. You wanted my help? Now do as I say. Put on the targeting display. 
(Ezri puts the yellow lens over her left eye.) 
JORAN: Now, hold the weapon as if you're going to use it. Feels good, doesn't it? 
EZRI: I've held a rifle before. 
JORAN: You mean in combat? It's not the same thing. That kind of killing's too random, too chaotic. This is more controlled. You can savour the moment. Now, tell me, what do you see? 
EZRI: I'm moving through different levels of the docking ring. 
JORAN: He didn't kill anyone in the docking ring. Remember, you're trying to put yourself in his mind. Move to the habitat ring. 
EZRI: I'm there. In one of the corridors. 
JORAN: Good. Our killer is a hunter. So start hunting. 
EZRI: I see a Bajoran Deputy. 
JORAN: You don't want to be in the corridors. Look in the quarters. 
EZRI: No one's here. 
(Next door.) 
EZRI: A male Starfleet officer. An engineer, about thirty five. 
JORAN: Good. We have a victim. You have him in your sights. How do you feel? Truth now. 
EZRI: Powerful. In control 
JORAN: That's good. That's what the killer's feeling. 
EZRI: I'm not angry or excited. 
JORAN: You're calm, relaxed. 
EZRI: Detached. 
JORAN: Now you're getting it. You do your killing from a distance. You're cold, methodical. Maybe you're a scientist or a doctor? 
EZRI: Maybe. But why kill like this? Why not choose a victim on the Promenade or in Quark's? 
JORAN: If you want to know the answer, pull the trigger and find out. Don't think about it, do it! Do it! 
EZRI: No! 
(Ezri rips off the eyepiece and puts down the weapon.) 
JORAN: Ezri, the gun isn't loaded. 
EZRI: Then why did you tell me to pull the trigger? 
JORAN: Do you want to know what the killer feels or don't you?
[Promenade - upper level]
JORAN: I'm sorry, Ezri. I didn't mean to push you so far. 
EZRI: I'm not a murderer. I'm not you. 
JORAN: Maybe not, but you have my memories. You remember what it was like. The excitement, the passion, the looks on their faces as they realised we were the last thing they'd ever see. 


EZRI: 
That has nothing to do with me. 
You're the killer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment