Wednesday 23 September 2020

The Success of Joy





" I guess probably, The ODDEST Thing  you would find is that, when I got involved in Film, I didn't know anything about Film, I just got involved in it, and I fell love with it -- I loved it, and I wanted to create Stories, and Do Things, and....

I never really had any INTENTION, really,  of becoming Successful, or Making Money, or doing anything other than Making Movies --

And so, ALL my decisions were about : Making My Movies -- Not becoming Successful.

I became Successful, primarily because I wanted to CONTROL The CONTENT of My Movies, and I DIDN'T want Other People to tell me How to Make My Movies or, sort of work very hard on Somebody Else's Message.

So, everything I DID, really, I DID in order to Gain Control Over My Work.

....but as a result of that, My Ideas about What Constituted a Good Movie, and The Messages that I wanted to send Out There became very popular, and so as a result, I became Very Successful.

But if I had gone down Another Road, and just done a Work for Hire, for another Studio.... I probably never would have been Successful -- if I had just Sold-Out, and.....

And there was points in My Life where, I was absolute broke, in debt -- offered HUNDREDS of Thousands of Dollars to work, for Hollywood --

I just -- refused to do it."


-- George Lucas.

No comments:

Post a Comment