Sunday 27 October 2019

Don’t Be Awful





Family (n.)
Every Time I Get Out, They Pull Me Back In



VITO CORLEONE 
(sitting behind his desk, petting a cat)
Why did you go to The Police? 
Why didn't you come to me first? 


BONASERA
What do you want of me? 
Tell me anything. 
But do what I beg you to do. 


VITO CORLEONE
What is that? 

[Bonasera gets up to whisper his request into Don Corleone's ear

That I cannot do. 


BONASERA
I'll give you anything you ask. 


VITO CORLEONE
We've known each other many years, but this is the first time you came to me for counsel, for help. 
I can't remember the last time that you invited me to your house for a cup of coffee, 
even though my wife is godmother to your only child. 

But let's be frank here: you never wanted my friendship. 
And uh, you were afraid to be in my debt. 


BONASERA
I didn't want to get into trouble. 


VITO CORLEONE
I understand. You found paradise in America, had a good trade, made a good living. 
The Police protected you; and there were courts of law. 
And you didn't need a friend of me. 

But uh, now you come to me and you say -- 

"Don Corleone give me justice." 

-- But you don't ask with respect. 
You don't offer friendship. 
You don't even think to call me ‘Godfather’! 

Instead, you come into my house 
on the day my daughter is to be married, 
and you uh ask me to do murder, 
for money.


BONASERA
I ask you for Justice. 


VITO CORLEONE
That is Not Justice; 
Your daughter is still alive. 


BONASERA
Then they can suffer then, as she suffers.
(then)
How much shall I pay you? 


VITO CORLEONE 
(stands, turning his back toward Bonasera)
Bonasera... Bonasera... 
What have I ever done to make you treat me so disrespectfully? 

Had you come to me in friendship, then this scum that ruined your daughter would be suffering this very day. 


And that by chance if an honest man such as yourself should make enemies, then they would become my enemies. 

And then they would fear you.


BONASERA
Be my friend --

(then, after bowing and the Don shrugs)

-- Godfather? 


VITO CORLEONE 
(after Bonasera kisses his hand)

Good.

(then)

Some day, and that day may never come, I'll call upon you to do a service for me. 

But uh, until that day -- 
accept this justice as a gift on my daughter's wedding day. 


BONASERA 
(as he leaves the room)
Grazie, Godfather. 


VITO CORLEONE
Prego.

(then, to Tom Hagen, after Bonasera leaves the room)

Ah, give this to ah, Clemenza. 
I want reliable people; people that aren't gonna be carried away. 

I'm mean, we're not murderers, despite of what this undertaker says. 


No comments:

Post a Comment